<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: A Time to Rest

Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Time to Rest


It's ironic that I'm writing this during NaNo, but the topic of rest has been on my heart a lot this week.

 (Pictures from Pinterest)

(If you haven't already guessed from my use of references from the Out of Time series, I'm reading them right now. Awesome books.)


Rest


We writers really work ourselves hard. There are always stories ideas or editing worries or character arcs spinning around in our heads. Maybe you're an artist who's always planning your next masterpiece, or are just so wrapped up in life in general that you don't have a moment to breathe.

Please breathe.


I think there's something about the season of autumn that we all feel, whether it's our favorite time of year or not. The crazy plans of summer have worn off. The holiday business has not yet begun. Things slide back into a familiar rhythm with consistent scheduling as school starts up. Yes, summer is gone and won't be back again for awhile, but I think there's something beautiful in that.

Writers seem to have some innate attraction to autumn. Maybe it's the magnet of NaNoWriMo. Or maybe it's the realization that things are slowing down and now is the perfect time to settle in and crunch out that word count. And that's alright. But for everyone, writer or not, I think we never take enough time to just be. 


Get the most out of Fall-Walk, Run or Bike on one of Kansas City's beautiful trails.:  
(Pictures from Pinterest)

Just Be

I was going for a bike ride with my mom the other day. We weren't going on any steep trails or anything, just gliding down a walking path near our house. Though you wouldn't normally find a lot of leaf-bearing trees where we live, there happened to be plenty on this path. They were scattered across the pavement, crackling as our tires went over them. The scent of decaying and dying leaves was thick in the air. There was an wintery chill on the breeze.

Often, when I'm riding, I start thinking of my books. Fixing this dialogue, patching that plot whole, making this character better. But I didn't today.

I let my mind wander.

The strangest thing happened when I decided not to work my mind on what I usually did. My eyes started taking in the falling leaves and the golden trees. I started breathing deeper and steadier. I relaxed and realized that I needed to take more breaks like this one.  

I'm not saying that you should just forget about your usual stuff all the time. I'm saying that taking a moment -- maybe even just one minute -- to stop thinking about it is hugely beneficial. I came back from that bike ride ready to slam down some serious word count. I felt refreshed. And I keep reminding myself to do that. 

It helps a lot.

It's not a "new discovery." But in the crazy business of our everyday lives, we should remind ourselves to take a breather, especially with the holidays coming up.

 autumn
 (Pictures from Pinterest)

And I think this is a beautiful quote about autumn as well:

Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day.
- Shira Timar


Happy Thursday!

- Audrey Caylin


Have you ever had to remind yourself to "take a breather?" What's your favorite quote about autumn?  
 
 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home