<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://audreycaylin.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Audrey Caylin: {WRITERS AND AUTUMN} 7 reasons why we're the perfect match

Saturday, September 23, 2017

{WRITERS AND AUTUMN} 7 reasons why we're the perfect match



source
  HAPPY AUTUMN *throws leaves in the air* I’m sorry, my summer-loving friends, but the season of falling leaves, nippy winds, and delicious scents has finally arrived!

It has come to my attention during my near-year of blogging that a lot of writers say autumn is their favorite season, myself including. So today, in honor of the first day of fall, I’m revealing the seven reasons why writers and autumn are often the perfect match. (if you’re a writer who does not like autumn, don’t worry—this post is for amusement ;)


Also, because the school year recently started, I’m going to be using several mathematical expressions, so bear with me! I’m just using addition and comparison symbols though, so it should be easy to understand ;)


REASON # 1

WRITERS <3 CAFFEINE. CAFFEINE = WARM DRINKS. AUTUMN = WARM DRINKS = LOTS OF CAFFEINE

WHAT WRITER DOES NOT LIKE CAFFEINE?!? Okay, maybe me. But I DO enjoy a good hot chocolate and the occasional cup of tea. Having some sort of beverage when writing is a must, and warm drinks often inspire a cozy feeling that makes writing easier (?) rather than how cold drinks just make you shiver….

But really. Colder weather is just an accuse to have more caffeine, especially after a summer of ice tea or ice coffee or Star Bucks Refreshers or whatever you like.


REASON #2

BECAUSE SWEATERS

Let me give you two mental pictures here:

First, imagine writing on a swelteringly hot day with sweat dripping from your forehead, a fan blowing on your face and muting your music, and your cold drink soaked with precipitation so every time you set it down your fingers are wet, and thus you run the risk of getting your keyboard, or notebook, ruined.

Then imagine a chilly day, curled up in an over-sized knit sweater that goes down to your thumbs, perhaps with a nice little fire by your side, and a warm drink that might just be a Pumpkin Spice Latte. You might even have a blanket on your lap, or some of those cool little half-glove things so your fingers stay warm while you type.

AND (this is important) because sweaters are so versatile, you can wear them to bed, out to the store, or writing. THEY LITERALLY GO WITH EVERYTHING, K?  And we writers like to keep our style simple and cozy so if we’re caught writing in our pajamas, our pajamas consist of the sweater we wear during the day so we don’t have to change before we go out.

Sweaters are the official attire of writers.


REASON #3

 FALL = COLORFUL LEAVES FLYING + UNUSUAL SMELLS + WIND = WRITERLY SENSES STIMULATED. WRITERLY SENSES STIMULATED = LOTS OF PLOT BUNNIES.

Fall is so ALIVE. As a blogger I know would say, it makes our souls hum. There’s so much going on—leaves being set aflame by the cold, a paradox that gets our brain gears moving (kinda creepy imagery?). There are so many scents and sounds that aren’t there during other seasons that really get our imagination excited (I guess you could say that about other seasons too but sshhhh that’s not what the post is about) And an active imagination means LOTS of plot bunnies. And armies of plot bunnies always mean new WIPs or inspiration for editing.

And there’s something that bunnies like about fall too? I saw three in a row on my bike ride the other day. Silly little things almost got hit sitting in the middle of the path :P (though I would sooner crash than hit one, btw)

source
 
REASON #4

SCHOOL = SCHEDULES. SCHEDULES = WRITING SCHEDULES

I don’t know about you, but one of the first things I did when making my school schedule was carve out a time for writing. It was tough to do that over the summer with all the summer-y stuff going on. But when life falls back into a reliable routine with school… 

Clearly the right time to make sure we have ridiculous amounts of time to write.


REASON #5


COLD WEATHER > WRITERS’ BRAVERY --> WRITERS GO INSIDE

Because we are sensitive to cold weather and cannot stand it. Thus, as the temperature plummets to a frigid 56 degrees, we must go inside or freeze to death. Even if we love the outdoors, we cannot survive in such conditions. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL, OKAY? 

But we, being adventurous creatures, cannot be satisfied with staying indoors. Thus we are attracted to hours of excessive reading or, most often, shutting ourselves away with survival tools (sweaters, hots drinks, etc.) and writing madly to satisfy our desire to explore.

(this might not really be true because I’m more apt to go outside in autumn. Oops xD)


REASON #6

SCHOOL > OUR LIVES --> WRITERS RESORT TO WRITING AS AN EXCUSE NOT TO STUDY

Because what better excuse do we have not to study than to go write our novel? (even though we know we’re just going to headdesk for hours on end when we see our mess of words). We need something to escape from math and science and all such terrible forms of torture :P


REASON #7

NANOWRIMO > EVERYTHING ELSE.

Enough said (this point mainly applies to US writers, but ignore that for a moment ;). This reason is truly why writers are so attracted to this season. We jump for joy at the notion of joining thousands of other writers for thirty days of warring against procrastination, writers’ block, and the need to sleep and exercise in order to torture newly created characters to force them to change. Surviving this treacherous adventure is the achievement every writer strives for.

I think it’s rather ironic that NaNo was chosen to be in the fall (at least in the US). Even if it’s because the ‘nov’ in November mirrors the first three letters of ‘novel,’ I believe that my above reasons are to blame as well ;)


<3
audrey caylin


What is your favorite season to write in and why? Can you think of any other crazy reasons why writers like autumn? Why do YOU think NaNoWriMo is in November?

Labels:

26 Comments:

At September 23, 2017 at 4:15 AM , Blogger R.F. Gammon said...

Ahhh, I know you said this post was a joke, but it's so undeniably true! Except for the caffeine part. I made myself drink some of my dads pumpkin coffee a couple of days ago and... was not my fave. But that's okay! Because now I can drink hot chocolate agin!

 
At September 23, 2017 at 4:26 AM , Blogger Melissa Gravitis said...

It is moments like these where I realize...I live in the Southern Hemisphere. xD SPRING TIME FOR ME!!! I can say I am so happy that it is getting warmer because I feel like I became a permanent icicle for a few months there! But anyway, I love this post! Lots of amusement and smiles from me! :D

 
At September 23, 2017 at 5:13 AM , Blogger Katrina Jackson said...

All of this is so YES. Especially the one about sweaters!!! XD

 
At September 23, 2017 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Anna said...

YES YES YES, I curled up with happiness reading this post xD ^.^ All of this is totally on point <3

 
At September 23, 2017 at 6:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole writing world is gearing up for NaNoWriMo and I am still confused // terrified // excited. Mostly confused though!

I would love to experience autumn, but here it's all rain which is still no problem for me! I get to stay home and listen to rain while pounding words out <3

- andrea at a surge of thunder

 
At September 23, 2017 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Helena George said...

Ah, Fall!! *grins* *horses come trotting up, their manes and tails covered in prickly burrs* Welp, reason #1 why I /don't/ like fall.

But I /do/ love all the colorful leaves, the scheduling, the cups of hot tea, being able to wear blue jeans without people saying "are you crazy - it's 100 degrees outside?!" and the excuses for staying inside and writing. And, of course, NANOWRIMO!!!! I can't wait!!

 
At September 23, 2017 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Karyssa Norton said...

Yes yes yes!! I loove fall! <3 I love warm drinks, and not only coffee. ;) Oh my word, sweaters are the best! I wear one almost every day (every day this summer too because it was always cold :P). :D

I have wondered why NaNoWriMo is in November, but I can't think of any reasons other than the ones you've already said. I can't wait for it (even though I haven't finished outlining my novels for it)! I'm really excited! :DD

Autumn is my favorite season for sure! :)

 
At September 23, 2017 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Same! I'm a writer who doesn't give a care about caffeine. Water is the best and tea is second, I guess.

It's funny because since I'm doing a one-year writing course in college, I have to write and read a lot. Which is awesome. So my mum can't say I'm procrastinating now. (Then again, I need to get away from my phone. Now THAT'S the problem.)

I want to join NANO someday so I guess if my WIP stays stagnant... I could do that?

 
At September 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Micaiah Saldaña said...

Yes, yes, YES! Sweaters! Salted caramel hot chocolate! Leaves skittering across the sidewalk! FALL IS THE BEST TIME TO BARRICADE YOURSELF IN THE HOUSE WITH A COMPUTER AND CHOCOLATE AND JUST WRITE. Amusement? This post is SO true! xD

Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

 
At September 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Catherine Hawthorn said...

UGHH if school wasn't during the fall and winter, I would say that those seasons is the perfect time for me to write. Because if it is nice out - sunny and warm - I want to be working or playing outside, not writing.

I do like my fall wardrobe, and having tea/cocoa. But schoolllll.....

Catherine
catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

 
At September 23, 2017 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVVVVVE fall!! Basically all of this is spot on. Hot chocolate, yes. Sweaters, double yes. Schedules, absolutely. Camp NaNo, YES! Ahhh, fall just gives me a different feel than the other seasons! I love the colors, the smells, etc. It just gets inspiration flowing! Great post, Audrey!

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who thinks this way ;)

Yeah. I'm not a huge fan of caffeine either. I can't think straight if I have too much of it, so definitely not the best for writing!

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

That's why I put the notice in there xD I did a post on Thanksgiving last year and forgot that it's an American holiday.

Yay! I hope there are lots of beautiful flowers budding and warm breezes where you are!

Thank you <3

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

SWEATERS ARE EPIC. Unfortunately it's still in the high seventies where I am, so no sweaters yet D: ;)

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I succeeded in bringing fall coziness to you. Mission accomplished xD

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Ditto! I thought I knew what I was going to write, and now I have no clue. Do you have any plot bunnies you're experimenting with yet?

Aaahh that sounds so lovely! Rain makes for the best writing weather <3

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

In the years I rode, I never experienced that. But I think it is kinda cute when they start to get all fuzzy as they grow their winter coats. I once rode a horse my mom nicknamed "yeti" because he was so fuzzy xD

YAASSS. NaNo is going to be epic this year. Do you have any ideas for what you're writing yet?

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

Ah! Another writer who loves fall ;) I guess you might get tired of it after a while, but wearing sweaters all the time sounds really cozy xD

Oooh, what are you writing, if you don't mind me asking? I only have a handful of characters and a Pinterest board so far *headdesks*

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

There are so many of us, and yet the world still thinks all writers live off caffeine :P

That's awesome! What sort of books are you reading?

YES. JOIN IN. Even if you don't reach the goal or end up starting late, it's a blast!

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

OMW YES YES *YES* Writers who love fall unite and tell this to the world xD

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I know :P Every season either makes me want to go outside or makes me have to be inside doing something other than writing.

Fall wardrobe is the best ;)

 
At September 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

YASS FALL IS THE BEST (if I didn't say it enough in my post xD). Idk what I'm doing for NaNo yet though. Do you have a novel planned/plot bunnies gathering?

Thanks, Riley! <3

 
At September 24, 2017 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Jane Maree said...

I almost wish it was autumn here now. XD But nooo, it's spring. And spring means heat is coming and rain has not for almost four months now and yeah, that's interesting. But also heat=writers stay inside because it's just TOO hot to go outside. So IT WORKS STILL. xP

 
At September 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Sarah Rodecker said...

I reached for my sweater just as I got to point 2! I love fall so much! NaNo. Warm drinks. Comfy clothes. Cooler weather. Scheduling. All good things that I love! This post sums them all up perfectly! Great job!

 
At September 25, 2017 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

That's pretty cool and also weird but idk I guess that's science xD

YES IT DOES. Writers just die in extreme temperatures (like below 50 degrees and above 80 :P)

 
At September 25, 2017 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Audrey Caylin said...

I succeeded xD I wish it was sweater weather where I am right now.

Thank you! And nice to meet you!

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to chat with you! Just please keep things clean and respectful.
*hands you a cup of unending gratitude*

And I respond to every comment, so be sure to check back for my reply!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home